Wednesday, January 13, 2010

prayer

The Lord's Prayer has been at the forefront of my mind lately. I am involved in two separate Bible Studies right now and it just so happens this was the week's topic for both studies. The Lord's Prayer is one I grew up reciting, but I am sad to tell you that was all it was, a recitation. I never really thought about the words I was saying. When I got serious about my relationship with God, I shunned all the recited prayers I had learned as a child, including The Lord's Prayer. I wanted my prayers to come from my heart, not mindless words that just flowed from my mouth. I don't think I was wrong in my general sentiment but I was wrong to discount the significance of this most precious prayer Jesus shared with his disciples.


Luke 11 recounts Jesus' disciples asking him, "Lord, teach us to pray." How many times have you heard this or even said this? Maybe we don't say those words exactly but our meaning is the same. We say, "I don't know where to begin," or "I don't know what to pray for." Maybe we are worried that we don't have eloquent enough words or we don't know enough about the Bible. In all these things what we are saying is, "I don't know how." Well lucky for us, Jesus' disciples asked him how. How can I ignore His answer, especially when it is so sweet and perfect and completely unlike the answer I expected?


The thing which strikes me most about Jesus' prayer is its simplicity. Many times I feel I must fill my prayers with beautiful, holy sounding words so God will know how serious I am. The prayer Jesus offers is short. Just 8 little lines in the NIV version of Luke, 34 words. Oh but what is said in those 34 words!!! In 8 lines we are shown the heart of God.

The prayer starts with intimacy. Jesus acknowledges God as Father. This not only speaks to our relationship with God but it places the focus of our prayer where it belongs, on God. How many times do I start my prayers with I? I need, I want, I can't.

Then Jesus acknowledges God's sovereignty. "Your kingdom come." Not my plan, Lord, but yours. The key to my favorite subject - contentment.

The rest of the prayer points to three aspects of God's character. He is our provider, our savior and our protector. God loves us and wants to be these things for us. He wants to provide our daily needs. He knows what they are before we even ask. He promises to forgive us of our sins and He will give us the power to forgive others. And He promises to protect us from evil and to guide us in the path of righteousness. Jesus shows us through His prayer that we should be bold in coming before the Lord and asking for these things.

I am so grateful for the perfect timing of God in having these two studies coincide with each other and showing me The Lord's prayer in a new light. I am so grateful for His Word which provides all the answers for life. Thank you Lord for showing me so plainly how to pray. Funny, I never thought to ask. I am glad the disciples did.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing to me how we can be on opposite sides of the country and God can be teaching us the same things at the same time! I wish we could sit on my couch and talk for hours about it like we used to......love the blog! SO nice to hear from you in this way again!

    ReplyDelete