Tuesday, January 12, 2010

seriously

Seriously, a blog? That's what I keep asking myself when the idea pops into my head. And who will want to read it? That's another one. Maybe nobody. It doesn't really matter. I used to enjoy writing. I was privileged to have the opportunity to write and deliver devotions each week for several Mom's groups I was involved in and to occasionally deliver a message for Bible Study. I miss that. I miss those times of sitting down at my computer and hearing God speak to me. I suppose I don't need to be involved in a ministry to write. The truth is I got way more out of those devotions then any of the audiences I delivered them to. And that is why I have chosen this outlet to begin writing again. I cherish those times with the Lord and the things He teaches me during those times. So, even if nobody chooses to read these posts I know it will be a special time with my savior.
So why the name, "The Contentment Project"? As I look back over all the devotions I have written throughout the years, contentment seems to be a common theme. If you have ever attended Community Bible Study, you know that each month there is a group brunch or luncheon and at these gatherings there is always a question to answer. At one of these brunches the question was, "What are you learning?" I thought long and hard before answering, "I am learning to be content." Six years later, I am still learning. Contentment isn't an overnight epiphany, it is an everyday choice. Thus the project part of my title. This is my lifelong project, to be content, to follow God wherever He leads me with the assurance that His plan is the best plan.
Below is a copy of one of my earlier devotions. It was, in fact, delivered at Community Bible Study in Palm Desert shortly after the above mentioned brunch. I hope you will enjoy it.

Peace

Phillipians 4:6-7 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Aren't those beautiful words? I remember the first time I really heard those words. I was visiting a friend who had just had her second miscarriage in a row 20 weeks into her pregnancy. As we visited she told me how God had shown her this verse and had filled her with this peace that transcends all understanding. I had gone there to comfort her but I ended up being comforted myself with this amazing concept that was so new to me. This concept that even when our lives are crazy, even when tragedy strikes and there is no worldly reason for it, we can be filled with peace, God's peace.
If we keep reading in Philippians, Paul says, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Through our study in Acts, we are beginning to see the truth of these words in Paul’s life. In fact, he writes these words from jail. The man is in jail and he is talking to us about being content.
Maybe some of you have heard of a man named Horatio Spafford. He was a successful lawyer in the 1870's who wrote one of the most famous hymns of all time. Horatio Spafford, like Paul had discovered the secret to being content. He had invested heavily in Real Estate but the Chicago Fire of 1871 wiped out his investments. Shortly before that, his son had died. All this had put a huge strain on the family and Mr. Spafford decided his family was in great need of a rest. So he planned a trip to take his wife and 4 daughters to Europe. Because of some last minute business, he was unable to leave as scheduled but rather than postpone the trip for the whole family, he sent his wife and daughters on ahead of him, planning to follow a few days later. Unfortunately, the ship they were traveling on was struck by another ship and it sank. Only Mrs. Spafford survived. Horatio Spafford got on a boat to travel to England to be with his grieving wife. Along the way, the ship passed the spot where his family's ship had gone down. The captain stopped the boat to give Mr. Spafford some time. It was there that he wrote the words to the hymn “It is Well With My Soul.” It is well with my soul. This man who had already lost a son, virtually all of his money and now 4 daughters wrote the words “It is well with my soul.”
When peace like a river attendeth my way
when sorrows like sea billows roll
whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul
I think he had learned the secret to being content in all circumstances. So what is this secret? If we keep reading, Paul tells us. Phillipians 4:13 says, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." That's it, that's the secret. When we rely on God and not on ourselves, submitting to his will, we can do anything, even be content. And we can allow God's peace, that perfect peace which transcends all understanding to enter our lives.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I remember your wonderful devotions you shared at MOPS. You allowed God to minister through you to us. I am glad to hear that you are going to share again. I pray God will grow you as you allow him to grow all of us through your words. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord! Thank you for bringing this very valuable truth to the forefront of our minds today. You know I have experienced this "peace" you speak of . . . it is a lovely gift from the One who loves me more than I can understand.

    Welcome to the land of "bloggers"! You have always been a beautiful witness of Him and I so look forward to seeing you "shine" here!

    Love, Cathy
    www.fullhousemama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete